Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Apple Pie


I love fall for many reasons.  One of those reasons is apples!  The commissary has had great deals on apples recently and I've been stocking up.  But what do you do with all those apples?  Here's one of our favorites: Apple Pie!


 Start with the crust.  We like a homemade butter crust (recipe here) but I'm sure store-bought works just fine.
(*Edit: I doubled the crust recipe to have enough for the top)


Roll it out...


And place it in your pie plate.  I crimped the edges at this stage because I wanted to try something creative for the top.




Next, get your apples ready.  Our store had lots of gala and golden delicious so that's what I used.  I just cut back on the sugar since my apples weren't tart.  Probably better for you anyway!



Peel and thinly slice (about 6 medium apples)...







then add 1/4 cup of brown suger, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 cup flour and and a dash of salt.  Mix well. Then dump the apples into your prepared crust.





 And here's my attempt at creativity.  I think it failed though as they look more like pumpkins than apples. 




The finished product looks like a jumbled mess but it tasted good so that what matters I guess!

I used all of my butter to make the crust so I used whipping cream to brush the top.  We liked the outcome although it made the top brown pretty quickly.  I should have covered the top with foil half-way through baking.

And there you go!  I'm linking to TidyMom's pie party which I've never done before.  It sounded like fun and the boys are always up for pie.  Maybe I'll get some new visitors to the blog!



Love the Pie

1 comment:

Jen said...

The pie is beautiful. I made a couple of pumpkin pies a week ago and decided I don't like my oil crust recipe anymore. I was going to find a butter recipe for next time and this one sounds great. I'm surprised it only takes one stick of butter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...