Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Birthday!

For Mike’s birthday I decided to try tiramisu as his birthday dessert.  Mascarpone cheese was difficult to find so I was doing some research and came across this recipe at Daydreamer Desserts.  Then I decided why not accept a little challenge and do this entire recipe exactly like she did.  So I got started.  First I made the mascarpone… IMG_5098

I forgot to take a picture before I started but the cheese started out as heavy whipping cream and lemon juice.  Then I cooked it slowly in a double boiler.   Poured it into a coffee filter lined colander and chilled it overnight.

 

The next morning this is what I had…

  IMG_5134 

 

 

IMG_5095IMG_5099

Then it was on to the lady fingers.  Basically you just beat some egg whites, add the yokes some sugar and flour and voila!  Lady finger batter!  Then just pipe it onto a cookie sheet and pop the strips into the oven.

 

IMG_5101 IMG_5104All done!  They were yummy by themselves  but very good soaked in coffee.

 

Now time for the zabaglione.  And another double boiler.  At this point I’m thanking my lucky stars that I certain little 19 month old decided to sleep an extra hour during nap time.IMG_5103 

 

OK, Pistol Pete is awake.  Time for a quick scooter ride with the neighbors.  Junior’s motto for the day was “safety first” so we made sure to wear a helmet.  He also put together a slideshow, quiz and bonus question on the dangers of smoking for another neighbor.

IMG_5113 IMG_5118 IMG_5119 IMG_5120

With playtime, dinner and bath time behind us it was time to move on to the vanilla cream.  Whew this is a lot of work!

IMG_5123 IMG_5127

And finally, the whipped cream.  I though I might never be through!

IMG_5132 IMG_5133 

The next morning I put it all together and popped it back into the fridge to chill until dinner.

IMG_5136

And then we tried to make a card but Samuel was not really in the mood for creativity.

IMG_5142

So we did a few scribbles and called it a day.

IMG_5143

Tada!  The final product. 

IMG_5144

 

IMG_5147 IMG_5148-copy And the birthday boy who was not thrilled about having his picture made but he did it for me anyway.  He’s sweet like that.

 

The tiramisu was delicious but I will be looking for a simpler recipe next time if I ever work up the courage to make again.  Either that or start a week early.  It was fun and I learned a lot though so I’m glad a took the challenge!

 

Happy Birthday, Daddy!!  We love you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...